Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Most of us have an extra kidney

God was gracious enough to give most of us an extra kidney. In an otherwise healthy person, one kidney provides all the necessary functions. Unfortunately, not everyone has even one working kidney. The purpose of my postings will be to document my journey of altruistic kidney donation; that is giving a kidney to someone I have never met. I will chronicle my experiences, both good and bad to help people decide if they want to take the same journey.

My donation journey started after reading a newspaper story that detailed a chain donation. What amazed me most was the lone non-directed donor who started the chain. A young man in his late 20s who gave his kidney to a stranger. Why did he do that? What did the process entail? My curiosity piqued, I started research to find out more. My main source of information was The National Kidney Registry (http://www.kidneyregistry.org/). In my next post I will detail the process of registering as a non-directed donor and what happened next.

No comments:

Post a Comment