Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Post Op Day 1

Well, it's a done deal. I am now officially a "one kidney" woman. The pre-op experience was professional and effecient. I woke up from anesthesia just like I was waking from a nap. My friend, Cecile is a scrub tech. She advised me to tell the anesthesiologist that I didn't want to be nauseous when I woke up. Really? Seems wierd that you have to tell them. The aneshesiologist assured me that she would give me an anti-emetic (throw-up) medicine at the end of surgery to prevent nausea....Yeah, it worked!

In the recovery room, I don't remember having any pain, but then again they did tell me I had diluadid, a very strong narcotic. My back hurt from the thin mattress on the recovery room gurney, so I was most excited to get to my room and the plush hospital bed. The surgery took 5 hours, an hour longer than usual because God blessed me with extra renal arteries. Most people have 1 and I have three into each kidney. I was aghast to find out that in order to get to the kidney they had to bend me like a pretzel with my arms over my head. I shaved my legs, but not my underarms as I assumed no one would see my pits!

My Mom had accompanied me to the hospital and my sister, Diane and her son Jared arrived while I was in surgery. I got to my room around 1830 and they were both there within a few minutes. My twin brother, Randy and his wife Carrie arrived soon thereafter. All hovered over me and attended to my every desire. Mom spent the night on a couch in the room. I was so glad to have her as it was kind of a rough night. I had a lot of left side pain from being bent like a pretzel and couldn't get comfy.

Tony was my night nurse and he was GREAT. He was extremely caring and compasionate. He also accomadated to the fact that both my Mom and I were nurses, letting us have our way in practically everything.

This morning I am doing very well. My foley catheder (drains urine) is out and I had a light breakfast. Suzanne, the transplant coordinator will be over later in the day and I might meet the recipient. I have heard that she is doing well and producing lots of urine.....so that means my extra kidney has found a good home and nice and comfy.

1 comment:

  1. Jan, you are awesome! Praying for a quick and complete recovery. It will be great to see you soon. Love, David

    ReplyDelete