Sunday, July 18, 2010

Two weeks plus post surgery

Well, I had a couple of important firsts last week:

Since surgery, first time to wear jeans. Yeah, it felt so normal to wear something other than loose sweat pants. I had to put something other than sweats on because I went back to helping at Sunday School. It is fun to banter with friends about my experience and motiviation.

I also returned to work, 13 days after surgery. Part of me wanted to keep doing NOTHING, but most of me wanted to get back to my regular routine. I think it was pretty easy for me to return to work quickly because I have a desk job. A more physical endeavor would have extended the return to work time. I was told that most people return to work within two to six weeks.

Finally, what I think is the most significant first since surgery; I have had several nights with normal sleep. The inability to sleep more than 1 or 2 hours at a time secondary to abdominal discomfort has been vexing. I am very grateful that my slumber patterns seem almost back to normal. Only one more big first, the first time I am able to return to working out as normal. I was advised to take off 4 weeks in regards to any exercise but walking, so that one is still in the future.

I promised last post to describe life with one kidney.....sorry, no dramatic changes or gory stories to tell. I urinate like I used to, with no visible changes. I am advised by my doctors that I should have a blood test to check kidney function (creatinine) done in 6 months and then yearly after that. So despite my initial pain and discomfort, there are no anticipated ongoing reminders of my donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment